Your patience will be rewarded with this delicious plant-based risotto recipe from the good folks at Vega
Editors’ Note: This article originally appeared at myvega.com. Big thanks to Vega for letting us republish and share with our readers!
Prep Time: 90 minutes | Total Time: 90 minutes
- 1 large butternut squash, peeled and diced
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 leek, washed well and sliced thin
- 1 clove garlic, diced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- 1 cup Arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tsp saffron threads (optional)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
1. Preheat oven to 400 F.
2. Toss butternut squash with 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt and pepper.
3. Bake on a cookie sheet for 25 to 30 minutes, until soft.
4. In a small saucepan, simmer vegetable broth and cover.
5. In a heavy-bottomed pan over medium to low heat, add 1 tablespoon olive oil and leek.
6. Sauté until soft, 5 to 6 minutes, then add garlic. Sauté 1 minute.
7. Add rice and stir to coat rice in oil.
8. Add in wine and the saffron (optional) to rice. Allow to cook for 2 minutes.
9. Add in two ladles of broth to rice. Stir once and simmer. Allow stock to absorb into rice, 5 to 10 minutes, stirring as need but not excessively.
10. Repeat step 9 until rice is cooked through but still al dente. Only add more stock once rice is slightly dry. Cooking time is usually about 30 minutes.
11. Take off heat and add in squash. Season with salt and pepper.
Morgan Shupe is head chef at Vega. She transforms Vega HQ’s kitchen into a soup and salad bar of epic proportions to nourish Vegatopians every weekday. Morgan has wanted to be a chef since the age of 5 and is currently studying to become a registered holistic nutritionist.