TRAIL RUNNERS OF THE YEAR
The Marathon & Longer (races 26 miles and longer) Trail Runner of the Year awards will go to the top three male and female runners with the most Trophy Series points in that category. They will each receive a prize package courtesy of Trophy Series sponsors and get coverage in Trail Runner magazine or online.
The non-marathon (races less than 26 miles) Trail Runner of the Year awards will go to the male and female with the most Trophy Series points in their age groups at the end of the series (10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59, 60 and older). They will each receive a prize package courtesy of Trophy Series sponsors and be mentioned in Trail Runner magazine.
Grand Prize #1/Trail Fiend. The Trophy Series runner who logs the most miles in 2017 Trophy Series races will win the Tour Du Mont Blanc package in Switzerland from Run the Alps. The prize will include a travel voucher for economy airfare, the tour and accommodations and food during the tour. The tiebreaker for this prize will be based on finishing race times.
Grand Prize #2/Trail Mogul. The person who runs and finishes the most Trophy Series races in 2017 will be featured on the March 2018 cover of Trail Runner. The tiebreaker for this prize will be the runner who completes the most miles.
PARTICIPATION AND POINTS
1. Any runner completing a Trail Runner Trophy Series race between March 1 and September 30, 2017 will be automatically entered in the series. The Trophy Series does not include stage, relay, snowshoe, road or adventure/multi-sport races.
2. Trail Runner reserves the right to disqualify any runner who does not abide by Trophy Series race rules.
3. Trophy Series participants earn and collect Trophy Series points as follows:
A. Race Completion Points: Runners completing any race distance within the race’s assigned cut-off time will receive points equal to one times the number of miles completed. For example, a runner completing a 10K trail race will receive 1 point x 6.2 miles (equal to 10K), for a total of 6.2 points. Runners will not receive any points if they do not start or finish a race (e.g., dropping out at mile 25 of a 26.2-mile marathon will earn no points).
B. Age-Group Bonus Place Points: Non-Marathon Division runners receive points for winning their respective male/female age group. Age groups are: 10-19, 20-29, 30-39, 40-49, 50-59 and 60-and-over (age grouping for assignment of points is based upon the participant’s age during that Trophy Series race). Age grouping at the end of the series will be based on the last Trophy Series race completed.
C. Marathon & Longer Division Bonus Place Points: Marathon & Longer Division runners will receive additional points for placing in the top three overall places for both male and female racers in their respective race.
Bonus points are assigned as follows for both Trophy Series categories:
1. Third place in age group receives one bonus point per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points, e.g., a 10K would give the runner a total of 12.4 points—6.2 for finishing plus 6.2 for placing third).
2. Second place in age group receives two bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
3. First place in age group receives three bonus points per mile completed (in addition to the race completion points).
Participant point totals are cumulative. As a participant earns Trophy Series points, they are added to the participant’s previous Trophy Series points total.
POINTS TRACKING AND AWARDS
1. Following each Trophy Series race, it is the race director’s responsibility to provide Trail Runner with the race results and runner information within two weeks. Upon receiving this information, Trail Runner will tabulate points for each runner and add them to any Trophy Series points these runners have previously earned.
2. Runners will not earn points if incomplete information is supplied by the race director.
3. Points are tracked by two Trophy Series divisions: (a) Non-Marathon (races less than 26 miles) and (b) Marathon & Longer (races 26 miles and longer). Points are only awarded to the actual distance of the race course, regardless of the name of the race. Trophy Series points are only valid for the division in which they are earned.
4. In the event of a Trophy Series points tie for any above-mentioned prize (except the Grand Prizes), the runner with the fastest finishing time will be awarded the prize.
5. Trophy Series winners will be announced on www.trailrunnermag.com and in the March 2018 issue of Trail Runner.
After the Trophy Series year concludes, Trail Runner will present the following awards:
A. Age-Group Winners: The male and female non-ultra racers with the most points in their respective age group will win prize packages courtesy of all Trophy Series sponsors.
B. The Marathon & Longer Trail Runner of the Year Winners: The top three males and females with the most Trophy Series points in that category will win prize packages courtesy of all Trophy Series sponsors.
C. “Trail Fiend” Grand Prize Winner: The runner who completes the most actual Trophy Series race miles in 2017 will win a grand prize along with the prize package courtesy of all Trophy Series sponsors.
D. “Trail Mogul” Grand Prize: The runner who completes the most Trophy Series trail races in 2017 will win a grand prize along with the prize package courtesy of all Trophy Series sponsors.
Trail Runner is not responsible for prize fulfillment in the event that an event is cancelled or cannot fulfill its obligations. In the event of a tie for the greatest number of Trophy Series races finished, the Grand Prize is awarded to the runner who covered the most miles in those races. In the event of a tie for the most miles races, the Grand Prize is awarded to the runner with the best times in their races. Only races that supply official race results in the required format count in the official Trophy Series results and are used in the determination of this prize.
TROPHY SERIES RACE DESIGNATION
After the list of participating 2017 Trophy Series races has been officially announced, no more races will be added. This includes existing races adding another distance to accommodate shorter- or longer-distance runners (e.g., if a Trophy Series race, The XYZ Trail Marathon, adds a 10K event in mid-July, this distance will not be eligible for Trophy Series points). The final, official list of Trophy Series events will be posted on www.trailrunnermag.com on March 1, 2017.
Trail Runner magazine reserves the right to remove a race from the Trophy Series if race organizers do not provide final results in the correct format within the agreed-upon time frame. In the event that race directors do not provide results within the required time frame, participants of their events will not receive points for their completed miles.
Trail Runner magazine collects runners’ contact information for use only in communications related to the Trophy Series and Trail Runner magazine. Trail Runner does not sell or share this information with any outside party.
Trail Runner Trophy Series races are arduous and often held in remote locations far from medical help and with rough footing and many potential dangers, including, but not limited to, falls, high altitude, wildlife encounters, contact with other participants, the effects of weather, including lightning, high heat, extreme cold and/or humidity and race-course conditions. It is not recommended that you enter and/or run in any Trail Runner Trophy Series event unless you are medically able and properly trained.
DO NOT participate in these activities unless you are an expert, have sought or obtained qualified professional instruction or guidance, are knowledgeable about the risks involved and are willing to assume personal responsibility for all risks associated with these activities. Trail Runner further disclaims any responsibility for injuries or death incurred by any person engaged in these activities and assumes no liability whatsoever for any participant in any Trophy Series race. In the event of litigation, venue shall be proper only in the County of Garfield, State of Colorado. Participation in any Trophy Series race constitutes racer’s consent to race rules listed above.