At first look, the PRO TREK is a good “all-arounder,” providing a variety of functions and the unique ability to download apps from Google Play and Android OS.
It is immediately clear that this product is intended as a smartwatch/GPS watch hybrid. The size profile is nearly the same as a comparable watch on the market yet it is a bit heavier.
The PRO TREK offers a comfortable wrist band that does not dig into the skin and is long enough to fit snugly on top of a puffy or directly on the skin. It can also be flipped easily to the palm-side of the wrist and will stay there comfortably.
Though Strava loads directly and easily, users may want to keep the manual nearby as this watch takes some time to become acquainted with. For those who want to turn it on and go, the PRO TREK might not be the best fit.
The PRO TREK is an excellent option for those who want a watch that they can run with, and then use as a smartwatch when they get back into town. The user can receive texts and talk to Google. The PRO TREK is best formatted for Android phones; some functionality will be lost in iOS.
- Full color map and clean screen design.
- Charges quickly.
- Access to Google Play Store so one can download various apps to improve functionality (i.e. Strava).
- The Tool button easily and intuitively relays useful information like altitude and compass direction.
- Can easily read the screen in UV protected sunglasses in both locked mode and active mode.
- Battery dies quickly using third-party apps like Stava.
- There is no clear way to gather data from their Activity Tracker app from the watch to a phone or database.
- Easy to accidentally switch watch faces, draining battery.
- Many apps are geared toward smartwatch functionality instead of a dedicated distance running-specific GPS watch.
- This is an Android-specific watch.
First Look is Trail Runner‘s new online feature highlighting top trail-running gear. Our pro testers provide their informed first impressions on the latest shoes, hydration options, technology, apparel, fastpacking gear and more.